Adding a PC (Generic) Floppy Drive to Your System
Warning! You carry out these modifications at your own risk. I accept no
responsibility for any damage to hardware, or loss of data, resulting from these modifications, that you might
PC floppy drives need the following mods:
- Change the Drive select jumper from DS1 to DS0. The Amiga always uses DS0. External logic decides which drive
is which depending on it's position along the cable.
- Cut the track from Pin 2 on the drive.
- Most PC floppy drives have a jumper to select either *Ready or *DiskChange on Pin 34.
- The Amiga is expecting to see the *DiskChange signal on Pin 2, so run a jumper from Pin 34 to Pin 2 on the
drive, and select the appropriate jumper on your drive to provide *DiskChange, and NOT *Ready.
- Run a jumper from the other side of the track cut that you made to GND to make sure the drive is permanently
wired for DD use.
Plug it in and away you go!
Note that older software which expects a RDY signal might fail though.
Note also that I have not tried these modifications myself, so cannot vouch for their accuracy. These
instructiuons do, however, come from a usually reliable source.